April 22, 2007

Crafty Nikki...very crafty

This is the first of two posts for today. Since I have been sick with my cyst and completely out of commission, I have been working on some crafts that I can do from the comfort of my sickbed...er couch. SO.... this first picture is of my needlepoint, which was supposed to have taken 2 hours but wound up taking me 3 days. I was working very methodically on it.

In Colonial America, the pineapple was an expression of welcome, good cheer, human warmth and family affection inherent to gracious home gatherings. I will be turning this needlepoint into something and then it will be a present for Christmas or birthdays.

This one is a soap I made, it is called "Orange Dream, its a goats milk made with oranges and tea tree oil.
I used a muffin tin to mold the soap, I think the color was a bit of a problem. I don't care for it. It looks too creamy, I'm looking for more rich colors, or pure colors and the milky coloring just doesn't do it for me as a facial soap. Back to the drawing board.

One last thing, I made a really taste four bean salad. Recipe below. I was really impressed by how beautiful the colors of the beans were together so I took a picture.

Nikki's Four Bean Salad

2 cans kidney beans
1 can string beans
1 can wax beans
1 can chick peas
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cups cider vinegar
1/4 white vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
fresh parsley

Directions: Wash beans thoroughly and drain, finally put beans in a large bowl. Mix sugar, vinegars, and seasonings together in a bowl until sugar has dissolved. Next pour liquid mixture over the beans, and stir gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Always better the next day. This makes enough to feed plenty.

No comments: