April 2, 2007

Weekend Update



This weekend, Ron and I went to Washington Crossing State park on Saturday. It was really fun and we had a great time. We went to the NJ and PA sides of the park. They both have their own strengths, NJ has alot of activities and excited people walking around, their space is full and well stocked with informational pamphlets. 20 minute movies on Washington's Crossing and a general friendly atmosphere. The PA side has an awesome facility, its just huge and beautiful, but its better for a walk than for learning at this point because they are revamping their facilities. There are very few exhibits but a pretty awesome gift shop. I purchased a penny whistle and promptly wrote a song called "Ode to Spring" I think I will record it and put it up on this site. Also we bought some wooden spoons which we will use for reenacting.

Then on Sunday we went to a bread making lecture in East Jersey Olde Towne. Very interesting. It was led by a rather dynamic woman called Jane Chrysostom. She was very knowledgeable about the topic, but really it just highlighted how removed we as New Jerseyians are from our food sources, most of us in the room (age range 9 - 89) did not know the process of turning wheat into flour. Nor did we know that there are various kinds of wheat or that you have to remove the stalk and the beard and the chaff! Holy smokes what a process. After that we had a yummy soup and sandwich dinner with my mom and Mrs. LaFontaine. It was a good weekend.

I would love to attend another lecture by Jane. She does a cheese making that I may be interested in attending!

Also, my mom lent me her digital camera so I can see what i'm looking for in my own digi-cam. I may post some pictures soon.

No comments: